The next 80s list is ready to be served! 1986 is – as of now – lacking a 5/5 record for me. There are tons of albums that I haven’t rated yet (Bronski Beat, Megadeth, Talk Talk, The Smiths…), so let’s see what the future holds. For this year that has been over for almost 40 years. Anyway..
I personally love the pop phase of Genesis and that’s why you’ll find „Invisible Touch“ at the top of my personal ranking of 1986. Pretty much every single track on this album is a hit. „Land of Confusion“, „Throwing It All Away“, „Tonight, Tonight, Tonight“ – what more is there to say?
„Living With Victoria Grey“ by Cleaners From Venus is a more or less hidden 80s gem. If you dig Jangle Pop, make sure to check that one out.
I discovered „Flaunt It“ by Sigue Sigue Sputnik when I was discovering the Surfer Punk genre. This record is so much fun that it will leave you grinning for its entire length.
Oh, and please don’t leave too much hate in the comments for Slayers relatively poor ranking. While I understand the importance of „Reign in Blood“ for the entire metal world, it simply didn’t excite me too much.
- Genesis – Invisible Touch | 4.5
- Cleaners From Venus – Living With Victoria Grey | 4.5
- Madonna – True Blue | 4.0
- Beastie Boys – Licensed to Ill | 4.0
- a-ha – Scoundrel Days | 4.0
- Descendents – Enjoy! | 4.0
- Astor Piazzolla – Tango: Zero Hour | 4.0
- Die Ärzte – Die Ärzte | 3.5
- Sigue Sigue Sputnik – Flaunt It | 3.5
- Depeche Mode – Black Celebration | 3.0
- Slayer – Reign in Blood | 3.0
- Hüsker Dü – Candy Apple Grey | 3.0
- Talking Heads – True Stories | 3.0
- Herbert Grönemeyer – Sprünge | 3.0
- David Bowie & Trevor Jones – Labyrinth | 3.0
- Bad Brains – I Against I | 3.0
- Dead Kennedys – Bedtime for Democracy | 3.0
- Uniform Choice – Screaming for Change | 3.0
- Big Black – Atomizer | 3.0
- Black Sabbath feat. Tony Iommi – Seventh Star | 2.5