I have dozens of year lists piling up in my Google sheets folder and it’s time to sort out this mess.
Let’s dive into the 80s and kick it off with the wonderful year of 1981. My top 5 is pretty heavy which was surprising to me because I wouldn’t necessarily consider myself a heavy metal connaisseuse.
You will find „Faith“ by The Cure at the top because it is a masterpiece of an album. And here come the heavy boys. Iron Maiden isn’t even a band a particularly like but „Killers“ is so much fun! I believe even non-metal fans can enjoy this record a lot. Same goes for Black Sabbath and their 10th album „Mob Rules“. Sabbath have their ups and downs throughout their discography but I think 95% of their albums are at least worth listening to.
What else? 1981 treats us with some great Surfer Punk (Agent Orange), the debut of Depeche Mode and some great AOR (Foreigner & Phil Collins).
- The Cure – Faith | 4.5
- Iron Maiden – Killers | 4.0
- Black Sabbath – Mob Rules | 4.0
- Judas Priest – Point of Entry | 4.0
- Agent Orange – Living in Darkness | 4.0
- The Gun Club – Fire of Love | 4.0
- Black Flag – Damaged | 3.5
- Grace Jones – Nightclubbing | 3.5
- Depeche Mode – Speak & Spell | 3.5
- Foreigner – 4 | 3.5
- Wipers – Youth of America | 3.5
- Blue Öyster Cult – Fire of Unknown Origin | 3.5
- Klaus Nomi – Klaus Nomi | 3.5
- Phil Collins – Face Value | 3.0
- Blackfoot – Marauder | 3.0
- Siouxsie and the Banshees – Juju | 3.0
- Rush – Moving Pictures | 3.0
- Stevie Nicks – Bella Donna | 3.0
- 10cc – Ten out of 10 | 2.5
- This Heat – Deceit | 2.5